Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Car Talk

By all reckoning I am not a Car Guy. Never was, probably never will be. Yeah, I can change a tire, I can change the oil, I know where the dipstick is and where to pour the wiper fluid (not into the engine casing), but I don't know how to operate a stick shift, the clutch scares me half to death, and BIG! NOISY! HIGH-POWERED! HIGH-PERFORMANCE! engines intimidate the hell out of me. I am not The Compleat Man.

That doesn't stop me from admiring cool cars; after all, I grew up in the 'Sixties and was surrounded by the fallout from hot rod/Kustom Kulture-- the art of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and Robert Williams, Rat Fink dolls, the Monkeemobile, the Munster Koach, the (original) Batmobile, and, most especially, the Aston-Martin DB5 from Goldfinger.

Let's ignore my hearse obsession for the time being*.

Anyway, the other day I was cruising Boing Boing ("A Directory of Wonderful Things") and happened upon this item: Phantom Corsair from 1938.

O. M. G!

Check it out:


That, my friends, is one sweet, sweet ride!

*Ah, but some day I will own one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Atomic batteries to power!
Turbines to speed!

Cathy VanPatten said...

Oooh, cool!

We may be in the market for a new car... got rear-ended this morning on the way to work--our little Saturn, plowed into by a big honkin' Lexus SUV...not a scratch on the SUV, but our whole back end is smushed.

Thing is, it was all down to black ice and a slight slope... as we were calling 911, another 3-car collision happened right where ours did (we had moved our vehicles across the intersection and parked them)--and all of those cars had damage and then some. Then on the way to the body shop (the cop said we could drive it, but the body shop guy said "you DROVE that here?" LOL), we saw a couple of big accidents--multi-car, ambulances, fire trucks--and on surface streets!

All down to that crappy ice. I want to move to where it doesn't snow. I mean it!