Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Return of the Son of the Bride of the (Not) Right (Ir)Reverend Lee

So it was 1989 and my friends Barb & Beth decided to stage the Second Fool Olympics (the first being in 1972, which is a story for another time) and I decided to enter the "Beat the Bakkers" competition in my (Not) Right (Ir)Reverend Lee persona (Discordian/SubGenius).

I won the gold.

And became a minor (very minor) legend amongst the attendees who didn't already know me. "It's so nice to see a clergyman let his hair down!" one woman was heard to say, having no idea the closest to clergy I've ever been was when I was ordained by Universal Life Church in 1966 for a "love offering" of $2.00 (I was 11). Based on this event there are people who refer to me as "the Rev. Lee" unto this day, even by those who were not present and only heard about it secondhand.

What I didn't know at the time was my friend JSam had his wife videotape my... uh... sermon. Twenty years later and courtesy of JSam, video-to-digital transfer, and YouTube, this lost performance has resurfaced.

Brace yourselves.



My shirt, by the way, sports a picture of an Ursus maritimus sporting a Thompson submachine gun. The caption reads "Support your right to keep and arm bears." The man I heal with my Magical Miracle Mojo Prayer Cloth is the very same JSam responsible for my being able to inflict this upon you. And my sermon? Well, with the exception of a line I stole from Carny, it's entirely impromptu.

Go forth and sin.

4 comments:

Gary D. said...

No need to go impromptu anymore with the sermons, Rev. Lee...you can subscribe to a monthly sermon service...get weekly sermons, with selection of illustrations so you can "customize" "your" sermon. Though I suspect your idea of a sermon and theirs might be a touch different!

Preston G. said...

I'm speechless. That was amazing, and I need more of that.

G. W. Ferguson said...

Gary, if I ever decide to go into the professional preachin' biz I'll keep that in mind, though I suppose you're right and I'd need a...unique...congregation.

G. W. Ferguson said...

Preston, we also made monster movies in our decadent youth (late '60s-early '70s). They're funny in a different way. Check out Moriser72's YouTube page.