Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Internet Can Be A Spooky Place

Being a typical middle-aged American male (okay, I know that's a debatable statement; shut up) I'm particularly bad at remembering things like birthdays and anniversaries, which is why the Internet is such a wonderful thing--social networking sites do the remembering for me and that includes my long, neglected LiveJournal account.

LiveJournal, unlike MySpace, by the way, is still a pretty active place despite the mass migration to Facebook. I no longer post there myself, but I still check out what other people post since LJers with FB accounts tend to go into much more detail on their LiveJournals (translation: that's where the hot gossip occurs) while many LJers who have interesting things to say have chosen not to join Facebook.

So, anyway, the other day I got an LJ notification that grayseal123's birthday is coming up May 5th and I had to think for a minute, who the hell is grayseal123? Then it hit me--hard.

OMG, that's my college buddy Glenn! I can't believe I forgot about him; I get this notification every year and still I forgot.

See, Glenn died in 2007 just before his birthday.

Conroe man, 51, killed in motorcycle accident
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle
April 27, 2007, 4:57PM

WILLIS — A 51-year-old Conroe man was killed when his motorcycle struck a vehicle coming out of a private driveway, authorities said.
The accident happened shortly before 10 p.m. Thursday on FM 2432 about two miles east of Willis, said Texas Department of Public Safety officials.
Glenn Murawski was headed east on FM 2432 when his 2002 Honda motorcycle hit a 1993 Ford Ranger driven by Clifford Bailey, Jr., of Willis.
Murawski was transported to Conroe Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead about an hour later, DPS officials said.

And since no one has closed or deleted his account, since I'm the only one who knows it exists, I will continue to receive a birthday notification for as long as LiveJournal's servers are operational.

That's not a bad thing, but it is kind of spooky. I suppose as the years go by more and more of us will experience Internet ghosts.



No comments: